Buckinghamshire - Cornwall - Dorset - East Sussex - Essex - Hampshire - Herefordshire - Kent - Monmouthshire - Oxfordshire - Suffolk - West Sussex - Ghost hunting nights, ghost hunts, ghost tours, ghost evenings and ghost weekends. We organise ghost hunting events for indoor and outdoor locations and are based in the South East of England and travel all over the United Kingdom (UK) and into Europe to hold private and public ghost hunting nights.
Barham Court · Teston, Maidstone. Kent
Barham Court is a fine old house in the village of Teston, Kent.It was once the home of Reginald Fitz Urse, one of the knights who murdered Thomas Beckett in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
As a result of that deed, Fitz Urse fled to Ireland and the manor passed into the ownership of his kinsman, Robert de Berham. The de Berham family (now called Barhams) became one of the great families in Kent.
But at the end of Elizabeth I's reign, the property passed to Sir Oliver Boteler and his wife, Anne. The Botelers (later they changed their name to Butler) were Royalists and Barham Court was sacked by Cromwell's New Army during the Civil War. William Butler, their son, was imprisoned in London for his support of the Kentish Royalist Petition of 1642, which indirectly led to the Battle of Maidstone 1648.
The last of the Butlers, Sir Philip, was responsible for changing the course of the old Tonbridge-Maidstone road, which used to run north of the church and then south of the house on its way to Barming and Maidstone. He had the road moved 'some hundred rods' (say five hundred and fifty yards) to the south.
When Edward Hasted visited the house in the 18th century, then owned by the Bouverie family, he described it as the greatest ornament of this part of the county. After that it passed to the Charles Middleton, 1st Baron Barham.
William Wilberforce was a frequent house guest of the first Lady Barham, who is said to have inspired and supported him in his fight against slavery. He loved the place and once wrote that 'for the charm of softness and elegance I never beheld a superior to Barham Court'.
The house was very badly damaged in a fire in the 1930s.
Bicknor Woods · Bicknor. Kent
St. James Church at Bicknor stands away from its village on the north Downs. A single track road runs past the open churchyard and there are no immediate houses or farms. Bicknor church is made of chalk and faced in flint and was restored by the Victorians and outwardly resembles a Victorian Gothic structure.
The area around Bicknor and the North Downs has been subject to various reports of paranormal activity; echoing footfalls heard and unexplained sightings including strange beasts that disappear when approached in the woods.
This ghost hunt does not involve any ghost hunting activities near the church
Book this location as a private group event (4-12) people (£10 per person), select a suitable date when you book
19th July 2013 - 10.30pm - 2.00am Tickets: £10 per person
Bronze Age Burial Mound · Wouldham, Kent
Shoulder of Mutton Wood lies east of the River Medway within the Kent Downs near the village of Wouldham in the English county of Kent. It is 2.2 hectares and has been a wooded area since 1600 AD. Its name is thought to be derived from its shape. Within the wood is Bell Barrow an ancient Funerary monument dated early to middle Bronze Age (1500 - 1100 BC).
Buckingham Old Gaol · Buckingham, Buckinghamshire
Buckingham Old Gaol located in the heart of historic market town of Buckingham, Buckinghamshire the iconic Old Gaol was built in 1748 in the style of a castle, with later additions in 1839 by the famous local architect George Gilbert Scott.
Following an Act of Parliament on 30 June 1747 (known as Lord Cobham's Act), the original prison building was erected in 1748. The bulk of funding was from Richard Temple, fourth baronet of Stowe (1675-1749), who had been previously MP for Buckingham. It was built in the Gothic style. One of the prisoners jailed here was the prize fighter Simon Byrne. He was tried at the Buckingham Assizes in 1830 for the manslaughter of another prize fighter, Alexander M'Kay.
The rounded front of the building was added in 1839, designed by George Gilbert Scott, a local architect. This provided accommodation for the gaoler and became known as the Keeper's Lodge. For around 60 years, the Old Gaol acted as the police station for Buckingham, until a new police station was built a short distance away on Moreton Road. In 1891 it became a fire station, and the C Company of the 1st Bucks Rifles rented part of the building for their armoury from 1892 until 1926. In 1907, public toilets were installed.
In the 1950s, it became an antiques shop and café. In 1974, the Aylesbury Vale District Council took over responsibility for the building. Buckingham Heritage Trust was formed in 1985 to save the building and it opened as a museum in 1993.
Burham Cement Works · Burham, Kent
Burham Brick and Cement Works (BBCW) was established in 1852 by Thomas Cubitt, this site was exceedingly modern, fully mechanised and produced some of the finest bricks at the time.
The industrial scars of quarrying still remain, and have now become a integral part of the Medway valley/North Downs scenery and wildlife.
Burham Brick, Lime and Cement Works spawned 3 quarry pits in 89 years of business, and played a very important role in shaping the local landscape and communities.
The Cement Works closed in 1960s.
Caldicot Castle · Caldicot, Monmouthshire, Wales
Caldicot Castle is an extensive stone medieval castle in the town of Caldicot, Monmouthshire, in southeast Wales. The castle is a Grade I listed building.
The area in which the castle now stands has been occupied since the Bronze Age.
The first phase of building in stone was during the thirteenth century when the round keep was built.
The DeBohun family held the castle for over two centuries and enlarged it with a curtain wall, towers and an impressive entranceway, influenced by the design of fortifications in the Holy Land. It was confiscated by the crown on several occasions, often for rebellion, but was always returned to the family.
The Woodstock Tower was built by Thomas in the late fourteenth century and the Great Gatehouse is believed to date from the same period. Large windows were cut into the curtain wall at some time in the fourteenth century.
In 1885 Joseph Cobb, an antiquarian, bought Caldicot Castle and went on to restore it as a family home.
The Cobb family owned the castle into the twentieth century. The towers were divided into apartments and rented out until the 1960's and they still contain features such as a bath that dates from before the Second World War.
The castle is reputed to be haunted by a number of ghosts and spirits including a grey lady (who is believed to be Alianore de Bohun), hooded monks, a beggar boy and a mischievous poltergeist. At the centre of the activity is the Gatehouse Banqueting Hall; shadowy figures, as well as moving furniture, has been witnessed in this area. Many people have experienced unusual cold spots, as well as hearing footsteps in vacant parts of the castle.
Coldrum Long Barrow · Trottiscliffe, Kent
Coldrum Longbarrow otherwise known as the Coldrum Stones is a Neolithic Burial chamber built in 3000 BC (this is the period of time when Stonehenge and the pyramids in Egypt were likely to have been built) and contained 22 people from the same family of both sexes and varying ages.
The tomb chamber was originally contained in a rectangular earth mound, now no longer present.
The mound was bounded by standing stones, many of which have now slipped and fallen from their original position.
Many strange ghostly sightings have been seen in the area and strange dark shadows around the stones.
Darnley Mausoleum woods · Gravesend, Kent
The Darnley Mausoleum, Gravesend is a Grade I Listed Building. It is one of the finest mausolea in Britain and represents a high point in the neoclassical movement in British architecture. The Mausoleum stands within Cobham Park on Williams Hill, the highest point locally, commanding wide views over the Thames and Medway Estuaries and the rolling landscape of the Kent Downs. It was designed by James Wyatt for the 4th Earl of Darnley according to detailed instructions in the will of the 3rd Earl of Darnley.
The Latin inscribed on the mausoleum coat of arms is "Finem Respice" which means "Consider the end"
Dymchurch Redoubt Fort · Dymchurch, Kent
Dymchurch Redoubt Fort was built between 1804 and 1812 to support a chain of 21 Martello Towers that stretched between Hythe in Kent and Rye in Sussex, and to act as a supply depot for them. It specifically protected the sluices that were the key to the drainage of Romney Marsh. By the time it was finished, the invasion threat was over. During World War I, it was used for troop accommodation. In World War II, the south coast was again at risk of invasion, and two 6 inch breech-loading guns were mounted in casemates built over the original gun emplacements. A prominent battery observation post was built and pill boxes were sited on the parapet in order to repel an infantry attack. It was fully operational by 1942 as an Emergency Coastal Battery.
After the war, the observation post was used as a Coastguard lookout and radar was installed to monitor shipping in the English Channel. The army constructed a mock-up of a street of buildings in the interior, for training in urban warfare. The redoubt is now disused except as a store and remains the property of the Ministry of Defence.
Eastbourne Redoubt Fort · Eastbourne, East Sussex
Eastbourne Fort Redoubt was built between 1804 and 1810 to support the associated Martello towers in defending against the threat of an invasion by Napoleon. It has defended the Eastbourne coast for nearly 200 years. Like its twin Dymchurch Redoubt it was built as a barracks and supply depot for the towers, and designed for 11 guns, although only 10 guns were installed. During the First World War the Redoubt was used by the military police as a headquarters and temporary jail. During the Second World War the building was requisitioned by the army to be used for storage. Canadian troops also spent time there in the build up to the D-Day landings. After the war, the Redoubt was home to a model village and an aquarium. The model village was vandalised in the 1970s, and the aquarium closed in 1996.
Fort Borstal · Rochester, Kent
Fort Borstal, Chatham, Kent was built as an afterthought from the 1859 Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom, by convict labour between 1875 and 1885, to hold the high ground southwest of Rochester, South East England. It is of polygonal design and was never originally armed. An anti-aircraft battery was based there in the Second World War.
Initially Fort Borstal was not one of the planned forts of the 1860 commission however it was later decided another fort was needed to protect the high ground overlooking the River Medway. This was due to plans to construct forts from Temple Marsh in Strood to Shornemead fort and the re-use of the fortifications between Fort Pitt and Fort Clarence being dropped. The construction of the fort began in December 1875, it was delayed due to waiting for the completion of a nearby convict prison where the work force was coming from. The fort was built very similar to the forts at Portsmouth with a straight rear section defended by a loopholed wall. It is here that the main entrance can be found, initially a roller bridge with the remains still visible now access is via the roof of the caponier. A dry defensive ditch surrounded the fort, the straight section at the rear was protected by the caponier with the south and northwest angles of the ditch being protected by counterscarp galleries. Troop accommodation was a row of casemates at the rear of the fort, a central roadway leading to the front of the fort separated these, the Officers quarters and administration could be found to the left of the entrance. At the front you can find a second set of casemates, these were used as the control centre for the fort, nearby are two expense magazines. There are a total of five expense magazines within the fort, they were used to send shells and cartridges to the ramparts via the serving rooms above. A large magazine can be found to the northwest inside the fort, as can the reservoirs. Lighting inside the main magazine was from lamps within light recesses placed via the lighting passage, this surrounds the magazine and associated passages. Other underground features include the caponier that is accessed via staircases within the fort, two counterscarp galleries and a protected walkway in the form of a tunnel connecting each areas of the fort. When the fort was complete in 1883 no formal gun emplacements were added as the armament was to be guns in field carriages however there were many additions to the fort during it's working life and gun emplacements were added at a later date.
During the First World War the fort was used as a stop off point for troops and stores travelling to France, as was Fort Amherst nearby, after this the fort was used by a T. A. unit, namely the 166 City of Rochester Battery Royal Artillery, for training. The fort was also occupied by a detachment of the Royal Marines from nearby Chatham.
With the serious upcoming threat of the Second World War four 4.5" anti-aircraft guns were installed above the front casemates in preparation of the hostilities, each gun was set into a permanent concrete emplacement. Ammunition was transported to the guns via a light railway. The fire control post was situated above the rear casemates, most of the casemates were used as magazines for the A.A guns ammunition. During this time many locals believed Fort Borstal was the home of a 'Big Bertha' Gun, this belief was due to the guns being electronically fired simultaneously giving off a massive boom and sounding like just one large gun being fired. The gunners were accommodated within the fort but other personnel stationed here were housed in a large hutted camp just outside the entrance where the NAAFI could be found.
Another incident occurred at the fort when British and enemy planes were involved in a battle above the fort, one of the planes was hit and began spiralling toward the fort, something was seen to fall from the plane and it flipped, changed direction and crashed 200 yards away along the wall of the prison. The object that fell from the plane was later found to be the pilot. He had sustained severe burns and broken bones, he was moved into the fort where he lay until the authorities came to collect him. He was 23-year-old Sergeant R. A Ward, he was buried in Mitcham Cemetery near Croydon. Plot DD, Grave 284725. On the 15th September 1940 a witness reported seeing six enemy planes shot down within twenty minutes by the forts guns. After the war the fort fell under the Royal Artillery Care and Maintenance Unit.
The fort was taken over by the Home Office in 1961 and into the care of the Borstal Institution where it was used as a pigsty and store. A portion of the ditch was filled in at this time. The fort was sold off at auction on 28th September 2000. The fort is a scheduled ancient monument.
Since the Fort has been under private ownership, no proper ghost hunt has taken place here, we therefore are the first people to investigate this place.
This location is available to book for private group events (5-20 people) - price depending on people - see Private Group Ghost Hunts
6th July 2013 - 8.00pm - 2.00am Tickets: £35 per person
Fort Horsted · Chatham, Kent
Fort Horsted was the largest of the five forts designed to defend Chatham's eastern and southern approaches. Many changes were made to the original design of Horsted since its inception in the 1860's. Most noticeably Fort Horsted does not have caponiers or other exposed external features clearly visible in earlier works such as the Drop Redoubt in Dover. This was due to the development of high explosive shells in the intervening period between the 1860's and the eventual construction some twenty years later. Fort Horsted was finished by 1889, but never received the full compliment of armament she was designed for. In 1902 Fort Horsted was mounted with seven machine guns. In the Second World War AA guns were mounted at the Fort.
This location is available to book for private group events (5-20 people) - price depending on people - see Private Group Ghost Hunts
21st September 2013 - 8.00pm - 2.00am Tickets: £40 per person
Groundlings Theatre · Portsmouth, Hampshire
Groundlings Theatre, Portsmouth, Hampshire was originally built in 1784 by the Beneficial Society, as a public hall and charity school for poor boys.
The downstairs floor serving as the classroom and the upstairs being used by the Beneficial Society for meetings, concerts and theatre. The school applied a very disciplinarian attitude to education and, indeed, a hook to which children were tied to receive punishment by the birch is still present amongst many of the original features.
It was not until 1837 that the previously boys only school, was opened to girls and a junior school was also formed in 1873. The school had to be closed in 1939 due to the outbreak of Second World War and it is said that a Nazi sympathiser used the roof of the school to direct, through a torch, bombers seeking to hit the Portsmouth Dockyards.
The school finally closed in 1962 becoming a youth training centre before opening in 2010 as the Groundlings Theatre.
In 1812, whilst attending a dance in the building, Elizabeth Dickens went into labour and shortly afterwards gave birth to her son Charles Dickens.
The man who became the Premier of South Australia 7 times and after whom Ayres Rock was names, Henry Ayres, was a pupil at this school.
It is thought that there are up to 9 active spirits; the ghost of "little George" on the staircase and Emily in the classroom. Laughing children have been heard upstairs, not to mention the cheeky poltergeist who has been known to play tricks by moving objects.
This location is available to book for private group events (5-20 people) - price depending on people - see Private Group Ghost Hunts
9th November 2013 - 8.00pm - 2.00am Tickets: £35 per person
Harwich Redoubt Fort · Harwich, Essex
Harwich Redoubt Fort is a circular fort commanding the eastern side of Harwich port, Essex. It was built between 1807 and 1809 to support Landguard Fort on the opposite shore near Felixstowe and to form part of the chain of Martello Tower defences. It is 200 feet in diameter, is surrounded by a deep ditch and can only be entered by one removable drawbridge. It was originally armed with 10 cannon but these were upgraded in the 1860's and 1870's and by 1872 three 9 inch RML guns were in place. One still remains although it is thought the other two are buried in the moat. In the 1920's it was abandoned and the surrounding housing built. It was taken over by the Harwich Society in 1969, by which time it was completely overgrown, but it has now been fully restored.
Hucking Estate · Hucking, Kent
Hucking Estate, five miles north of Maidstone, in Kent's Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is the Hucking Estate, a 232 hectare mix of farmland and woods with a wealth of archaeological "gems" running parallel to the better-known Pilgrims' Way route.
The uses for this area over the years has changed dramtically, from once a Military area, to a Parcelforce van allegedly used in the Securitas depot robbery (£53,000,000 stolen in cash from Tonbridge) was recovered from the car park of the nearby Hook & Hatchet public house on 23 February 2006. Did the robbers use Hucking Estate Woods as an escape route?
Excerpt from the report of the first ghost hunt held here:-
"Scott placed a one pence piece and two, two pence pieces on a broken branch, as I called out to spirit to either remove them or replace them with different coins. I also picked up a large stick & threw it into the woods in the hope that spirit would throw it back. Whilst I was doing this Scott & Debbie were watching the coins. I had somehow managed to miss all the trees and could not quite believe this and was searching for my torch, Scott and Debbie both had just looked up (from the coins) for a moment and when they returned to look at the branch all the coins had gone, much to their amazement. However Scott & Laura found two of the coins, both were covered by the leaves on the ground, not really what you would expect if they had just fallen off. One of the two pence pieces could not be found at all."
Kits Coty · Blue Bell Hill, Kent
Kit's Coty House or Kit's Coty is the name of the remains of a Neolithic chambered long barrow on Blue Bell Hill near Aylesford in the English county of Kent. It is one of the Medway megaliths.
The Countless Stones, also known as Little Kit's Coty House, is the name of the remains of a Neolithic chambered long barrow on Blue Bell Hill near Aylesford in the English county of Kent. The site is one of the Medway megaliths. Their name comes from an old wive's tale that every time you count the stones, the result will be different.
A baker attempted to count the stones here, to prove that it was possible to number the so-called 'countless stones'. The baker placed a loaf of bread on each rock, and when complete, counted each one he took back. The Devil had other plans, however, and consumed several loaves before the baker had finished.
In between The Countless Stones and Kit's Coty are the reputed ghosts seen. The two reputed phantoms are two warriors fighting an endless battle. It is said that the men date from the 5th century.
In the autumn of 1992 three separate motorists reported knocking down a figure that ran into the path of their vehicle late at night on Blue Bell Hill, Kent (UK). In the two most dramatic encounters, the figure of a young woman had stared calmly into the eyes of the driver as his vehicle struck her. Subsequent police investigations not only failed to find a victim, but no evidence that an accident had occurred, prompting their conclusion that these motorists had probably encountered the famed Ghost of Blue Bell Hill.
The sightings, which - unbelievably - were to continue in the forthcoming months, and to take an even more bizarre twist - sparked a wave of press interest, which quickly spread first to the national, and then the international stage.
To date, the Ghost of Blue Bell Hill has been the subject of or found mention in excess of 200 articles; it has been featured on a number of television programmes devoted to the paranormal, and has served as the inspiration for at least one novel, a music track, and an audio dramatisation.
In all, Blue Bell Hill's ghost has come a long way from the seemingly apocryphal tale of local renown set in motion in the late 1960s, and its humble beginnings in print, to stand today - with dozens of reliable named-witnessed sightings - as an important modern example of haunting, and arguably the foremost case of its kind in the world today.
Landguard Fort · Felixstowe, Suffolk
Landguard Fort was built just outside Felixstowe, Suffolk, at the mouth of the River Orwell, Landguard Fort was designed to guard the entrance to Harwich. The first fortifications from 1540 were a few earthworks and blockhouse, but it was James I of England who ordered the construction of a square fort with bulwarks at each corner.
In 1667 the Dutch landed a force of 1500 men on Felixstowe beach and advanced on the fort, but were repulsed by a garrison of 400 musketeers of the Duke of York & Albany's Maritime Regiment (the first English Marines) and 100 artillerymen with 54 cannon. The fort was considered part of Essex in the 18th and 19th centuries; births and deaths within the garrison were recorded as 'Landguard Fort, Essex'.
A new Fort battery was built in 1717, and a complete new fort on an adjoining site was started in 1745 to a pentagonal bastioned trace. New batteries were built in the 1750s and 1780, but the biggest change was in the 1870s where the interior barracks were rebuilt to a keep-like design, the river frontage was rebuilt with a new casemated battery covered by a very unusual caponier with a quarter sphere bomb proof nose. Several open bastions were enclosed, and a mock ravelin block constructed to house a submarine mining contingent.
During the Second World War, it was used as one of the balloon launch sites of Operation Outward. This was a project to attack Germany by means of free-flying hydrogen balloons that carried incendiary devices or trailing steel wires (intended to damage power lines.)
The 10inch gun pit in Left Battery was converted into a Anti-aircraft Operations Room for Harwich in 1939. Visitors as well as local people, have their own experiences of paranormal activity in or around the Fort. The most common being the image of a sailor looking out of the top right window (the side visible from the road). Most reportings were in the 1990s, but occasionally there are still reports of lights at night and being "pushed" whilst visiting the top floors.
29th June 2013 - 8.00pm - 2.00am Tickets: £40 per person
Lost village of Dode · Dode, Kent
Archaeological evidence shows habitation in the Dode area during the time of the Roman Empire.
The church at Dode was built during the reign of William II of England at some point between 1087 and 1100. It was built on a man-made mound. The nearby hill is known as "Holly Hill" which is a corruption of "Holy Hill", and the lane which leads to the village is "Wrangling Lane", showing that the mound could be the site of a meeting place. The church stands at the end of a 10-mile long easterly running ley line connecting three pre-reformation churches, two Roman sites, a Bronze Age burial ground, and two of the Medway megaliths - the Coffin Stone and Kit's Coty House.
The village of Dode was virtually wiped out by the Black Death during the 14th century, and its church last used as a place of worship in 1367, then deconsecrated on the orders of Thomas Trilleck, the Bishop of Rochester.
According to local legend, the last survivor of the Black Death at Dode was a seven-year-old girl known as the Dodechild. It is said she took refuge in the church after all the other villagers were dead, and died within its walls. The Dodechild is supposed to haunt the churchyard, having first appeared on a Sunday morning each month for several years, and then every seven years.
Following the Black Death, the village was abandoned, and the church stood empty for centuries.
All proceeds of this ghost hunt were donated to Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - Medway Branch.
Read previous customer Feedback/Testimonials
Nothe Fort · Weymouth, Dorset
Nothe Fort in Weymouth, Dorset is situated on the shore beside the northern breakwater of the ex-military Portland Harbour, and at the mouth of civilian Weymouth Harbour. Nothe Fort was built in 1872 to protect Portland's harbour, which was then becoming an important Royal Navy base. The fort played an important role in World War II, when the harbour was used as base by the British and American Navy.
In 1956, the fort was abandoned, and in 1961 it was purchased by the local council. It is now a museum and tourist attraction, featuring models, World War II memorabilia as well as original cannons and guns and British and American WWII vehicles.
Nothe Fort has always had a legendary ghostly whistling gunner and many people claim to have heard his eerie whistling in the Fort's extensive underground passageways. Tales of this phantom have been talked about for decades around Weymouth and the Fort affectionately has a passageway dedicated to him. Who this 'shade' actually is, is at this time, unknown.
A survey carried out in 2007 by The National Lottery discovered that the Fort was voted one of the spookiest locations in the UK; in fact staff members sometimes refuse to visit certain areas by themselves.
Oare Gunpowder Works · Faversham, Kent
Oare Gunpowder Works is a gunpowder works near Faversham in Kent, operational from the 16th century until 1934. As the owners, sensed that war might break out with Germany, and realised that Faversham would then become vulnerable to air attacks or possibly invasion.
On Sunday 2 April 1916, a store of TNT and ammonium nitrate (used to "stretch" the TNT) exploded. More than 100 staff were killed in this explosion and in other "sympathetic" ones that followed.
Although not the first such disaster of this kind to have happened at Faversham's historic munitions works, the April 1916 blast is recorded as "the worst ever in the history of the UK explosives industry", and yet the full picture is still somewhat confused. The reason for the fire is uncertain and considering the quantity of explosive chemical stored at the works - with one report indicating that a further 3,000 tons remained in nearby sheds unaffected - it is remarkable, and a tribute to those who struggled against the fire that so much of the nation's munitions were prevented from contributing further to the catastrophe.
Book this location as a private group event (4-12) people (£10 per person), select a suitable date when you book
Oldbury Hill Fort · nr Sevenoaks. Kent
Oldbury Hill and Styants Wood, nr Sevenoaks.
On the summit of Oldbury Hill, commanding a powerfully defensive position, is one of the finest Iron Age hill-forts in the Medway, with substantial earth ramparts two miles in length. The huge Iron Age fort was built sometime between 150 and 50 BC. Ancient woodland, scrub and relic heathland disguise its complete outline.
The small caves and shallow rock shelters in the sandstone ridge were probably used by paleolithic man.
Pendennis Castle · Falmouth. Cornwall
Pendennis Castle in Falmouth, Cornwall is a Henrician castle, also known as one of Henry VIII's Device Forts, in the English county of Cornwall. It was built in 1539 for King Henry VIII to guard the entrance to the River Fal on its west bank, near Falmouth. St Mawes Castle is its opposite number on the east bank and they were built to defend Carrick Roads from the French and Spanish threats of future attack. The castle comprises a simple round tower and gate enclosed by a lower curtain wall. It is now in the care of English Heritage.
Pendennis Castle was built alongside a series of forts running along the southwest coast of Britain from Hull to Milford Haven. This was in response to the threat of invasion to Henry VIII from the French and Spanish.
Pendennis Castle had a role in the English Civil War. It was the last Royalist position in the West of England, and a Royalist garrison withstood a five-month siege (March 1646 to 17 August 1646) from Parliamentarian forces before surrendering.
Pilgrims Way woods · nr Maidstone
The Pilgrims Way in Kent is the historic route supposed to have been taken by pilgrims from Winchester in Hampshire, England, to the shrine of Thomas Becket at Canterbury in Kent. This name is somewhat misleading, as the route follows closely a pre-existing ancient trackway dated by archaeological finds to 500-450 BC, but probably in existence since the stone age, following the 'natural causeway' east to west on the southern slopes of the North Downs.
This woodland is just off the Pilgrims Way road (which in recent times has been closed to traffic) and is near Maidstone.
A horse-drawn coach is said to haunt this road, its occupants unseen and unknown.
On inspection of Pilgrims Way wood, all those present felt weird sensations and a disorientating feeling, the trees seemed to be watching!
Pluckley Screaming Woods · Pluckley, Kent
Pluckley in Kent is said to be the most haunted village in Britain. It is reputed to have twelve (possibly thirteen or fourteen) ghosts.
Pluckley Screaming Woods (Dering Wood), an area of forest outside of town supposedly haunted by the ghosts of many who became lost in the woods. It was given its name because you can supposedly still hear their screams from inside the forest at night.
To hear the screaming ghost is not uncommon in this area, and is reported to be quite bloodcurdling.
Book this location as a private group event (4-12) people (£10 per person), select a suitable date when you book
9th August 2013 - 10.30pm - 2.00am Tickets: £10 per person
Red Lion Hotel · Colchester, Essex
The Brook Red Lion Hotel in Colchester, Essex is a historical Grade I listed building dating back to 1465. Located in the busy town centre of Colchester, Britain's oldest recorded town, The Brook Red Lion Hotel in Colchester is one of the oldest inns in the area.
With Tudor features which include beautiful exposed wooden beams and warm red and gold fabrics.
The Brook Red Lion Hotel has 24 individually furnished rooms that provide all the amenities guests would expect from a modern hotel, but with the added comfort of plush Tudor style interiors. The range of tastefully decorated accommodation include single, double, twin bedrooms and a four poster bedroom.
The Parliament Restaurant at the Red Lion Hotel is a warm and intimate restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere in what was once the old Banqueting Hall, still showing its timbered beams.
There are three ghosts - a small boy that can be seen in the Parliament restaurant occassionally and has appeared in a guest's photograph, a ghostly monk that hangs around in reception, but the most active is Alice Millar.
Alice was a chambermaid at the hotel and was killed by a lover.
Alice has regularly been heard whispering and even talking to staff. There are recent accounts of people's hair being pulled and a womans voice appearing on a video taken in one of the rooms, with no obvious cause.
The original rooms still have their original wattle and daub beams and are simply stunning. They are also, obviously, the most haunted.
The ghost hunt will include a hot buffet and a paranormal investigation of the most active public areas of the hotel, including one or two of the haunted bedrooms.
10th August 2013 - 9.00pm - 3.00am Tickets: £40 per person
Rowfant House · Crawley, East Sussex
Rowfant house is often described as an Elizabethan manor house, it is, in fact, a mixture of 15th, 16th, 18th and 19th century architecture, so skilfully and harmoniously blended that it is thought of as wholly Elizabethan. In the entrance hall there is a panel of three portraits: Henry VIII, his daughter, Elizabeth I, and his father, Henry VII
The Locker-Lampson family, owners of Rowfant House from 1848 until 1962, comprised a colourful group, particularly Oliver Stillingfleet Locker-Lampson, barrister, journalist, MP for 35 years and Commander of an Armoured Car Unit in the First World War.
The Ministry of Defence requisitioned Rowfant House during the Second World War and Winston Churchill, who was a personal friend of Oliver's, spent many enjoyable hours there.
In 1962 the Latvian Church purchased Rowfant House from the Locker-Lampson family. Rowfant House Ltd was set up as a registered charity to own and run Rowfant House, which it now does on behalf of the whole of the Latvian Lutheran Church in Great Britain.
Royal Gunpowder Mills · Waltham Abbey, Essex
The Royal Gunpowder Mills, Waltham Abbey, were in operation for over 300 years; however, from the mid 1850s onwards the site was involved in developing new nitro-based explosives and propellants. The site grew in size, and gunpowder became less important. Shortly after World War II it became solely a Defence Research Establishment - firstly the Explosives Research and Development Establishment, then the Propellants, Explosives and Rocket Motor Establishment Waltham Abbey; and finally the Royal Armament Research and Development Establishment Waltham Abbey. Its superior production methods and high quality results earned it a reputation on an international level and played a significant part in the rise of Great Britain as an international power.
World War I 1914 - 1918 brought a huge upsurge in demand. The Mills increased staff numbers by around 3000 to a total of 6230. The 3000 additional workers were largely female, recruited from the surrounding area and this was a significant social phenomenon.
During WWII Waltham Abbey remained an important Cordite production unit and for the first two years of the war was the sole producer of RDX. This was the explosive that was used in the Bouncing Bomb.
In 1945 the establishment re-opened as a research centre known as The Explosives Research and Development Establishment, or ERDE; and was in existence to 1977, when it became the Propellants, Explosives and Rocket Motor Establishment, Waltham Abbey, or PERME Waltham Abbey. As a research centre Waltham Abbey was responsible for military propellant and high explosives and expanding into the increasingly significant field of rocket propellants, solid and liquid and a range of specialised applications, e.g. 'snifters' for altering space vehicles direction when in flight, cartridges for firing aircraft ejector seats, engine and generator starter cartridges - these applications have been called 'a measured strong shove'. The rocket activity later extended to the production of rocket motors, including work on the Skylark project.
In 1984 the South site and the Lower Island works were handed over to Royal Ordnance Plc immediately prior to its privatisation. The North side however remained in Ministry of Defence control as a research centre; becoming part of the Royal Armament Research and Development Establishment.
After various reorganisations of Governmental research, the research centre finally closed in 1991, bringing to an end 300 years of explosives production and research.
Rye Castle (Ypres Tower) · Rye. East Sussex
Rye Castle (Ypres Tower) built in 1249 and has served the town as a fort, private dwelling, Court Hall, jail, mortuary and museum.
Ypres Tower is the oldest building open to the public in Rye, its history spanning 750 years. It looks much the same as in 1249 when it was completed and known as Baddings Tower.
The Women's Tower and exercise yard was completed in 1837 following an Act of Parliament that stated that separate accommodation should be provided for Women & Children prisoners.
24th August 2013 - 8.00pm - 2.00am Tickets: £40 per person
Shire Hall · Hereford, Herefordshire
Hereford is a cathedral city, civil parish and county town of Herefordshire, England. It lies on the River Wye.
The name "Hereford" is said to come from the Anglo Saxon "here", an army or formation of soldiers, and the "ford", a place for crossing a river. If this is the origin it suggests that Hereford was a place where a body of armed men forded or crossed the Wye. The Welsh name for Hereford is Henffordd, meaning "old road", and probably refers to the Roman Road and Roman settlement at nearby Stretton Sugwas.
An early town charter from 1189 granted by Richard I of England describes it as "Hereford in Wales". Hereford has been recognised as a city since time immemorial, with the status being reconfirmed as recently as October 2000.
Alfred Watkins was born in Hereford, he was born in 1855 at the Imperial Inn on Widemarsh St and he died in 1935. Alfred was a great photographer and he took many pictures of the City. Alfred was also a keen archaeologist and Antiquarian, however he is most known for his studies and for being the finder of Ley Lines, he wrote the first book on the subject which was titled The Old Straight Track.
The Shire Hall has one of the oldest court rooms in the country and is still in use today. There are many tales of ghosts being seen within the building and some of the custodians have had some weird experiences.
South Foreland Lighthouse · St. Margarets Bay. Kent
South Foreland Lighthouse has a fascinating tale to tell: a beacon of safety guiding ships past the infamous Goodwin Sands; the first lighthouse powered by electricity and the site of the first international radio transmission.
At first beacons were lit along the cliff top to warn mariners away from the cliffs and the treacherous Goodwin Sands, the Romans replaced these with lighthouses to guide sailors into port. The remains of one now forms part of the church in Dover Castle. The Langdon Cliffs lighthouse helped mariners navigate into port for more than 300 years until it was closed in 1990.
A jealous sailor deliberately ran the Lady Lovibond onto the Goodwin Sands, a treacherous area off the coast of Deal, wreaking the ship and killing all on board. The craft is now said to re-enact the crash. Two other ghostly craft are said to frequent the area - the liner Montrose, and a man of war named Shrewsbury.
Will we meet a mariner who was shipwrecked? Or someone saved by the lighthouse? Or a past lighthouse keeper?
Or will you see the ghost ship Lady Lovibund wrecked on the Goodwin Sands?
The Priest House · West Hoathly, West Sussex
The Priest House is a beautiful 15th century Wealden hall house standing in a traditional cottage garden on the edge of the Ashdown Forest in picturesque West Hoathly, West Sussex.
A timber-framed hall house built in the 15th century for the Priory of St. Pancras in Lewes, the property was seized by Henry VIII in 1538 and belonged in turn to Thomas Cromwell, Anne of Cleves, Mary I and Elizabeth I. Central chimneys and a Horsham stone roof were added in the 16th century to create a substantial yeoman farmer's house.
The Priest House opened as a museum in 1908 and was handed over to The Sussex Archaeological Society in 1935.
The Star · Alfriston, East Sussex
The Star Alfriston, East Sussex built in 1260's it is reputed to be one of the country's oldest hostelries.
Known as 'The Star of Bethlehem' until at least 1520, the hotel was then run by the monks of Battle Abbey offering shelter to friars and pilgrims on their way to the Shrine of St Richard at Chichester.
As a Holy House, a wooden 'Sanctuary Post' gave fugitives and smugglers instant church protection. The Post can be seen in the bar today.
The Hotel's Lion figurehead is thought to be from a Dutch Warship, which sank in The English Channel. The lion washed ashore at Cuckmere Haven and brought into Alfriston by a gang of well-known local smugglers.
Theatre Royal · Margate, Kent
The Theatre Royal, Margate, Kent is the oldest theatre in Kent and the second oldest theatre in England. The Theatre Royal was built in 1787, burned down in 1829 and was remodelled in 1879. The exterior is largely from the l9th century and has remained relatively untouched.
From 1885 to 1899 actor-manager Sarah Thorne ran a school for acting at the Theatre Royal which is widely regarded as Britain's first formal drama school. Actors who received their initial theatrical training there include Harley Granville-Barker, Evelyn Millard, Louis Calvert, George Thorne, Janet Achurch, Adelaide Neilson and Irene and Violet Vanbrugh, among others.
According to local reports, hauntings began in 1918 when the ghost of Sarah Thorne (an actress) was seen. There is one particular area where paranormal activity is higher; a trapdoor which leads to what was a smugglers cave. Paranormal activity has been reported on the stage and backstage and it is known that one of the boxes is haunted as a man jumped from the box to his death during a performance.
Another ghost, that of an actor who committed suicide, is held responsible for creating strange lights that float around the stage area.
Thurnham Castle · Thurnham, Kent
Thurnham Castle is a 12th century flint-built castle on a hill also known as Godard's Castle which is built on the edge of the North Downs with a spectacular view across East Kent. The north side of the bailey wall still stands ten foot high and originally it enclosed an area of about a quarter of an acre. The west wall has completely collapsed. There is no visible stonework on the large motte although these were once two towers and an outer curtain wall.
Thurnham Castle commands impressive views to the south across the Weald of Kent. The village of Thurnham lies approximately half a mile south at the foot of the North Downs escarpment. Kent County Council Historic Buildings, Sites and Monuments Records state that 'Thurnham Castle crowns the point of a deep spur of the North Downs, which commands the Maidstone-Sittingbourne road and the Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury'.
A revised entry in the Schedule of Monuments made on 9th July 1991, English Heritage describes Thurnham as a motte and bailey fortification. Such castles were 'introduced into Britain by the Normans' and 'built and occupied from the 11th century to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle'.
Robert de Thurnham built the present fortifications in the reign of Henry II. Some accounts suggest that Robert de Thurnham went to the crusades with Richard the Lionheart and was given command of the English fleet and later made Governor of Cyprus. By 1215 there is documented evidence referring 'to the lands within the walls of the castle, which may indicate that it was already in ruins as reported in the early 19th century.'
In 2003 the following was reported at Thurnham Castle 'A small group of people standing around a fire watched a seven foot tall man dressed in a green and blue tunic run past, waving his arms wildly. Though only visible for a couple of seconds, one of the witnesses reported that while the figure had no face, he did possess smartly cut short hair!'
Timeball Tower Museum · Deal, Kent
Deal Timeball is a Victorian maritime Greenwich Mean Time signal located on the roof of a waterfront four-storey tower in the coastal town of Deal, in Kent. It was established in 1855 by the Astronomer Royal George Biddell Airy in collaboration with Charles V. Walker, superintendent of telegraphs for the South Eastern Railway Company. It was built by the Lambeth firm of engineers Maudslay and Field. The timeball, which, like the Greenwich timeball, fell at 1 pm precisely, was triggered by an electric signal directly from the Royal Observatory.
Before it became a timeball tower, the tower was a semaphore tower used to signal to the ships at anchor in the Dover channel.
From 1821 to 1831, the Tower carried a semaphore mast, which was used by the Coast Blockade for the Suppression of Smuggling to pass information along the coast. The Blockade was under the auspices of the Navy, and was manned by their personnel.
The Timeball Tower stands on the site of an earlier Shutter Telegraph. Ths was one of a chain of telegraph stations between the Admiralty in London and the Naval Yard at Deal. The telegraph line opened in 1796 and closed in 1814. Its purpose was to allow rapid communication between London and Deal, the latter being an important Naval anchorage during the Napoleonic Wars.
Toys Hill and Weardale Manor · Westerham, Kent
Toys Hill and Weardale Manor, Westerham
In 1295, Robert Toys paid 12d to the Manor of Otford for the right to keep pigs in Otford Woods and it is likely that he or his family gave their name to this area of Brasted Chart. Toys Hill was part of the Common of Brasted Chart where local people kept pigs and cattle, gathered peat and firewood and quarried Chertstone for their roads and buildings.
In 1906 Philip Stanhope, 1st Baron Weardale, built a substantial house here - the highest point on the greensand ridge north of the weald. From this high vantage point four counties can be seem. Little is known of the house other than it had 145 rooms and contained a magnificent 12ft wide mahogany staircase. It was only used in the summer months. After his death the house quickly fell into disrepair and by 1939 was a derelict ruin. The house was demolished at the start of WW2 as it was belived that it would be a navigational aid for any German bombers wishing to target Chartwell, the residence of the Winston Churchill, which was directly west of the house, less than 1 mile away. The foundations and garden terrace are still visible today.
All that remains of Weardale is a lawn and terrace, a grand house Weardale Manor was a grand house, country home to Lord and Lady Weardale in the early part of the twentieth century.
The Bat Tower was the inspiration of the National Trust. They felt the disused water tower could be turned into a hibernation site for bats. The Tower was built in 1906 and stands at the highest point on the Greensand Ridge in Kent.
14th June 2013 - 10.30pm - 2.00am Tickets: £10 per person
White Horse Stone · nr Maidstone, Kent
The White Horse Stones are names given to two sarsen megaliths on Blue Bell Hill, near Chatham, Kent.
The stones are said to be a monument to Horsa, a great warrior and King of Kent who supposedly died near the stone.
The Upper White Horse Stone is 2.9 m long, 1.65 m high and about 0.6 m thick and stands just inside Westfield Wood, off the Pilgrims' Way. Close by it are nine smaller stones that stretch to the west for about 10m.
The Lower White Horse stone was destroyed in 1823 and would be in the general area of the dual carrigeway.
Members of the Odinic Rite, are Guardians of the White Horse Stone.
According to legend; A horse and rider, both bathed in flame, are said to haunt this area.
We investigate a number of private houses and private derelict property. If you would like a private investigation please contact us, please email us in the first instance.
If you are aware of other locations, or if you are the owner of a location and want an investigation (public or private) please contact us
Is your House Haunted?
If you know it is, or suspect it is then we can investigate your house (privately). Usually this will involve one or two people from our team investigating your house. If you are interested, please contact us